Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for a Legal Counsel to join the Diamond Legal and Commercial Group to provide a professional legal service in managing a broad range of legal matters across the organisation, including providing legal advice and drafting, reviewing and negotiating a range of academic and commercial contracts.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal and contract support and advice at all levels, taking into account benefits to Diamond and its stakeholders and any associated risks, in order to pursue Diamond’s objectives and protect Diamond’s interests.
- Researching and seeking necessary technical advice on a variety of legal issues (e.g. commercial contracts, intellectual property, data protection, compliance, policies), working with external legal support to meet the needs of particular negotiations/matters.
- Drafting final legal briefing notes for colleagues, including senior managers and Directors, setting out key terms and conditions, key benefits and any risks or issues.
- Keeping comprehensive records of each stage of contract negotiations, maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of all matters being dealt with.
- Liaising and negotiating with a range of internal and external stakeholders, building and managing good working relationships.
The role will be primarily working from home initially but may include time on site for training. Once we have returned to our normal operations over the future months, when restrictions allow, this role will be predominantly office based.
You should be an organised and confident self-starter with the ability to lead on the management and administration of a broad range of contracts and arising legal matters.
You will be a qualified lawyer (solicitor or barrister).
You will demonstrate knowledge / experience in the following areas:
- Managing commercial contracts.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts to a high standard.
- Legal principles.
- Administration of legal agreements.
- Using legal research resources such as practical law company.
- Applying legislation to commercial operations.
You will demonstrate good attention to detail and organisation skills, with the ability to analyse, interpret and respond effectively to detailed written documentation.
You will be able to communicate very effectively within a science and technical environment at all levels of seniority, in writing and orally in English and to present a coherent legal argument. You will be comfortable researching and seek necessary technical advice on a wide variety of legal issues.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days’ annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to explain their suitability for this role in the online application form by reference to the job description and person specification. Applicants who do not complete this may not be considered for the role.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements and secondment opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, in accordance with law and good practice, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level One.