Senior Building Controls Engineer
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth, and environmental sciences.
About the Role
We are recruiting for a senior building control engineer who will be a member of the Installation and facilities management group and who will be responsible for the installation, operation and maintenance of diamond mechanical & electrical building services systems and associated controls.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Responsible for the development, maintenance, and day to day operation of both the Siemens Building Management System (BMS) and standalone building control systems.
- Technical responsibility for all operational aspects of the BMS.
- Problem solving and fault diagnosis
- Development of initial scoping, basis of design, commissioning protocols and/or detailed tender/pricing documentation.
- Development of building controls standards
- Technical evaluation/report production of proposed modifications/improvements to systems.
- Review of group skills and competencies, creation of training programme, delivery of “In House” systems use and skills training sessions.
- To undertake and/or manage change control procedures for all building control systems/installations and keep up to date records of all QA documentation.
- Carrying out safety risk assessments and prepare method statements.
You will also be involved in 'being on call' during commissioning and operation
Applicants will require a minimum of an HNC qualification in Building Services/Controls Engineering or equivalent qualification and experience. Applicants will have ideally completed a recognised Apprenticeship in an Engineering discipline.
You will also require:
- Ability to organise and prioritise tasks to meet project timescales. (Project planning).
- Detailed knowledge of building services and Siemens Building Management Systems (BMS).
- Commissioning/Operational management of BMS and stand alone building control systems.
- Ability to specify and project management of BMS and stand alone installation/upgrade contracts
- Experience of working with HVAC systems.
- Experience with MTHW, LTHW, Chilled Water, refrigeration and leak detection systems.
- Thorough working knowledge of Siemens Desigo Insight Siemens Xworks. RXL, RXU, RLU subsytems
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to work on own initiative.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities.
We take an active approach to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our activities at Diamond, with a dedicated commitment to ensuring we provide a fulfilling and enjoyable place to work, where all staff feel valued and recognised for their individual contribution.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications is 26th June .
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.