(Senior) Detector Technician - Electronics
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared, and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for a Detector Technician, working as part of an experienced multi-disciplinary team, to build, commission and maintain world-leading detector instrumentation used by international scientists.
The work is primarily Electronics based but can include some mechanical work.
You will support the detector group in the installation of detectors on beamlines, help to support detectors whilst, and help assemble systems.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining, development and upgrading of existing detector components.
- Creating some design work for interfacing detectors to beamlines involving basic electronics design.
- Facilitating the installation and commissioning support for specialist detector equipment and readout electronics, including working on all electronic aspects of the scientific instrumentation from boards to racks and cooling equipment, and installation of sensors for items such as water flow and temperature monitoring.
- Testing and fault finding.
- Assembling vacuum components.
- Assisting scientists in support in a variety of experiments.
Depending on the candidates’ knowledge, skills and experience, there is an opportunity for appointment at Senior Detector Technician level.
Suitable candidates will have served a recognised Engineering Apprenticeship including qualifications in an appropriate electronics-based subject or demonstrate equivalent experience.
Electronic CAD experience is desirable, or the ability to produce simple drawings using CAD software.
You will also demonstrate:
- Capacity to understand and interpret electrical drawings, circuit diagrams and basic mechanical drawings.
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering.
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and digital volt meters.
You will need to display good communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to work with people at all levels as effective teamwork in this role is essential.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Diamond is a thriving international organisation, attracting a diverse range of talented individuals from around the world. Our staff currently comprises 44 nationalities and we welcome applications from everyone interested in joining us.
The closing date for applications is 27th November 2022, Interviews will be held w/c 5th December.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.