Senior Electrical Project Engineer
Diamond Light Source, one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared, and ultraviolet light. Engineering at Diamond enables our scientists to use synchrotron light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
About the Role
We now have an excellent opportunity for a talented Senior Electrical Project Engineer to lead a team providing professional electrical engineering in delivering projects related to the technical systems of the Diamond facility.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Leading a team of electrical engineers including supporting the development of skills.
- Taking a pro-active lead in the delivery of electrical aspects of a range of Diamond projects; providing creative, innovative, and adaptive solutions to meet project requirements.
- Interpreting scientific requirements; negotiating and agreeing specifications with science, producing and monitoring project plans for successful and effective implementation.
- Preparing budget submissions, taking budget responsibility, and signing powers as required.
- Producing layouts, designing concepts and calculations in support of designs to ensure equipment functions safely and to the required specification.
- Performing risk assessments and implementing control measures, to ensure safe design and performance of equipment.
Applicants should be skilled and experienced Electrical Engineers with an Engineering degree or significant equivalent experience.
You will also demonstrate:
- Previous responsibility for electrical aspects of large scale, multi-disciplined projects, completing specifications and managing to time, cost, and quality.
- Experience for the procurement, installation, and commissioning of multi-disciplined engineering systems.
- Experience of people leadership.
- Experience in management of the Electrical safety in design, installation, and operation.
- Working within a QA system and maintaining accurate and comprehensive project documentation.
- Experience of PLC based systems, sensors, field instrumentation, ultra-high vacuum, communications, and control systems.
- Excellent understanding of electrical engineering drawings
- Understanding of the causes of electrical interference and countermeasures.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications is 27th of November 2022. Interviews will be held w/c 5th December.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.